Faculty - Business Administration
Amherst, Nova Scotia
School of Business and Creative Industries
Continuing Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately June 27, 2022
Application deadline is 11:59PM, May 26, 2022
Competition No. 2022-171
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $63,517.16 - $93,995.64. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching post-secondary). The maximum a new NSCC Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or $86,072.38.
Based on public health guidelines, NSCC has returned to more in-person learning, supports and services. You may be required to work on campus, remotely or a combination of both as the Academic Year progresses. This will be clarified further upon hire.
NSCC firmly believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping us, our friends, families and communities protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. As such, we recommend that NSCC employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
What you'll do
What you will be doing…
As a member of the Cumberland Campus faculty team, you will provide theoretical and practical instruction in the School of Business and Creative Industries. You will collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g. Brightspace) and classroom technology. Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures. You will also ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops, and labs. As a Faculty of NSCC, you will be expected to maintain currency with the latest industry practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st-century teaching and learning practices. This position may involve teaching within any of our lines of business (e.g. certificate/diploma programs, continuing education, customized learning, apprenticeship), across different delivery modalities (e.g. in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction, and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings.
What you'll need
What we are looking for…
You are a collaborative team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role, and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model for each of your students. As such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centred perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a relevant university degree in Business Administration, Commerce, or other relevant business fields.
- You have a minimum of five years (full time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience. An occupational experience that includes experience in a supervisory capacity; evaluating, monitoring, assessing and advising will be considered an asset.
- You have specific occupational knowledge and exceptional skill in teaching or managing in an online learning environment.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, Microsoft Teams, and Brightspace (or similar Online Learning Management System.
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in your field
- Ideally, you have related experience in the delivery of educational programs or training to adults
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices
- You are comfortable using multi-media technologies and a variety of platforms that will serve to engage students in online and blended learning capacities. The ability to teach effectively in an online/blended environment which includes building knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of courses delivered whole or in part online, using a course management system to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students will be an important factor in your success. Candidates who do not have previous online/blended teaching experience must be open to and willing to participate in training for this delivery model.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent presentation skills and can facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and can manage interpersonal relationships and issues effectively
- Your superb team-building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive, collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and community involvement, make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools – Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation – and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia. NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000. Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own. All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
As a condition of employment, Faculty at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Nikki Berrigan, HR Generalist at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.
2022-237 - Faculty, Business Administration - Ivany Campus
Dartmouth, NS, CA
2022-233 - Faculty, Non-Profit Leadership - eCampus
, NS, CA
2022-238 - Faculty, Electro Technical Officer - Strait Area Campus
Port Hawkesbury, NS, CA
2022-235- Academic Chair (CL8) - Kingstec Campus
Kentville, NS, CA
2022-236 - Faculty, Carpentry Trade - Pictou Campus
Pictou, NS, CA