Research Scientist - Information Technology
Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) - IT Campus
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Continuing Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately March 7, 2022
Salary range: $99,553.70 to $117,122.00 annually
Application deadline is 11:59 pm, February 10, 2022
Competition No. 2022-013
For the 2021-22 Academic Year, based on public health guidelines, NSCC plans to return to more in-person learning, supports and services. You may be required to work on campus, remotely or a combination of both as the Academic Year progresses. This will be clarified further upon hire.
NSCC firmly believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping us, our friends, families and communities protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. With this in mind, please be aware that NSCC requires all employees and students working and learning on an NSCC campus be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees and students who cannot or choose not to be vaccinated for medical, religious or other reasons will need to be tested and have a negative test result within 72 hours of being on campus, and follow Campus safety protocols.
What you'll do
What you'll be doing…
Working in a team environment, the primary role of the Research Scientist - Information Technology is to develop Applied Research and Innovation capacity at NSCC in the growing area of digital innovation. You will provide leading-edge expertise and leadership to a portfolio of applied research projects conducted in partnership with business and industry in the private and public sectors. Research outcomes are aimed at advancing the regional IT sector, bettering our communities, creating project-based teaching opportunities; as well as commercializing technologies that result from applied research projects generated by the College.
Reporting to the Director, Applied Research, the Research Scientist - Information Technology will work closely with various stakeholders including other College campuses, schools and departments; industry; provincial and federal governments; educational institutions; and communities. A significant aspect of the role will be identifying cross-disciplinary applied research projects with business, industry and communities, teaching students, and collaborating with faculty with relevant expertise to develop and deliver applied research projects. You will play a key role in developing research directions and capabilities in Information Technology.
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand our position as role models to our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
- MSc (PhD preferred) in Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Analytics, Informatics, or a related discipline, with a background and understanding of Data Science, Human-Technology Interaction, and familiarity with real-world applications of mobile technology, IoT, sensors, automation, machine-learning and other 4th Industrial Revolution concepts.
- Seven (7) years of direct industry, government or community experience related to Applied Research.
- Experience partnering with industry, government, funding agencies, and other post-secondary institutions
- Broad knowledge of science and technology associated with working at the multidisciplinary interface between Information Technology and industry/community needs.
- Specific experience with research in data-analytics, machine-learning, automation, cybersecurity, and other areas of instruction at NSCC is considered an asset.
Minimum skills and ability:
- Expertise in management and analysis of large datasets.
- Significant expertise in Data-Analytics, IoT, Cybersecurity, High Performance Computing
- Track record of successful research funding, and knowledge of research funding infrastructure in Nova Scotia
- You have a strong understanding of the Academic fields of Computer Science and Information Technology, along with practical awareness of how knowledge is used in the real-world.
- Demonstrated collaboration and experience in applying skills and working with other Applied Research Scientists.
- You have excellent project management skills, and experience in creating research grant proposals.
- You possess knowledge of local stakeholders and funding mechanisms.
- You have experience with applied research in a college environment and teaching at a college level will be considered an asset.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with demonstrated creativity in idea generation and solution implementation.
- Able to leverage research and market insight to drive innovation and competitive advantage.
- Supervisory experience working with multifaceted teams including students, research assistants, project managers, and other research colleagues.
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools - Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation - and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia. NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000.Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own. All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/jobs_at_nscc/how-to-apply/index.asp
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Nikki Berrigan, HR Generalist at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.
2022-172 - Faculty, Culinary Management - Akerley Campus
Dartmouth, NS, CA
2022-170 - Faculty, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Apprenticeship - Akerley Campus
Dartmouth, NS, CA
2022-171 - Faculty, Business Administration - Cumberland Campus
Amherst, NS, CA
2022-166 - Facilities Support Assistant (FS4) - Strait Area Campus
Port Hawkesbury, NS, CA
2022-168 - Program Assistant II (TS10) - Ivany Campus
Dartmouth, NS, CA