Facilities Support Assistant (FS 4)
Department of Facilities and Engineering
Continuing Full-time Position: Commencing approximately January 17, 2022
Application deadline is 11:59 PM, December 16, 2021
Competition No. 2021-383
Salary range: $36,160.78 to $37,559.29 annually
NSCC firmly believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping us, our friends, families and communities protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. With this in mind, please be aware that NSCC requires all employees and students working and learning on an NSCC campus be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees and students who cannot or choose not to be vaccinated for medical, religious or other reasons will need to be tested and have a negative test result within 72 hours of being on campus, and follow Campus safety protocols.
What you'll do
What you will be doing…
You will perform a full range of routine and special cleaning duties associated with keeping the Campus in a safe and hygienic condition. You may also perform routine painting duties and room rental setups. The hours of work will vary as required. Shift work and on call duties as required.
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a high school diploma or recognized equivalent (GED) or willingness to attain a high school diploma or GED prior to obtaining Regular status. Training in WHMIS and Occupational Health and Safety regulations would be considered an asset, as would Standard First Aid and CPR and possession of a valid NS driver's license.
- You have a minimum of one-year experience as a cleaner (including the operation of waxing and polishing machines and automatic scrubbers). Custodial and/or maintenance experience in a post-secondary or commercial setting would be considered an asset.
- Occupational experience that includes working in one or more of the trades (carpentry, plumbing, electrical) would be considered an asset.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail and Megamation.
- You have demonstrated experience providing general, preventative, and scheduled maintenance duties .
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and are able to interact effectively with a diversity of people
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and are able to create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill operating auto scrubbers, carpet extraction equipment, lawn care equipment and other custodial related equipment..
- You are familiar working within and committed to complying with OHS policies and procedures
- You have a proven ability to follow instructions
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to coordinating services, work, events, logistics.
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence.
- You are dedicated to life-long learning.
- You show a strong commitment to community involvement.
- You are able to perform all physical duties of the job as required for the operation and maintenance of the facilities and operation of small hand tools and shop equipment
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools – Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation – and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia.
NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000.
Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own.
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Nikki Berrigan, HR Generalist at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.
2022-013 - Research Scientist - Information Technology - Central Office
Halifax, NS, CA
2022-021 - Manager, Applied Research and Innovation - Central Office
Halifax, NS, CA
2022-006 - Research Financial Coordinator (TS15) - Central Office
Halifax, NS, CA
2022-024 - Curriculum Consultant (PS5) - Central Office
Halifax, NS, CA
2022-022 - Learning Support Specialist (PS4) - Central Office
Halifax, NS, CA