Stellarton, Nova Scotia
Department of Libraries & Learning Supports
Continuing, Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately March 30, 2020
Application deadline is 4PM, March 10, 2020
Competition No. 2020-046
Salary range: $39,759.17 to $46,293.70 annually
What you'll do
Reporting to the Manager, Student Services and under the functional oversight of the Libraries and Learning Supports department, you are part of a campus library team that is accountable for the day-to-day operational requirements of the Pictou Campus Library with support to other campuses and Central Library activities on occasion.
You will provide reference services to users in accessing information, services and resources in a variety of formats, provide library tours and orientations to groups or individuals and provide user education during all transactions. You will provide document delivery services, maintain a reserve system, participate in aspects of collection cataloging and maintenance, circulate library materials, register patrons in Novanet and provide basic support for troubleshooting software and equipment. You will maintain statistics, prepare orders and participate in the promotion of library services. Libraries and Learning Supports duties include, but are not limited to, acquisitions, circulation, document delivery and digitization, as well as participation in system-wide projects.
You will be responsible for maintaining a display case located in the Library, supporting a Library speaker program and training and oversight of a student library assistant.You will also contribute to the development and growth of Libraries and Learning Supports, Student Services and Academic Supports and the College by participating in committees, working groups and other initiatives.
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand our position as role models to our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a diploma in Library and Information Technology.
- You have a minimum of 1 year of recent and related occupational experience in a library environment, including direct experience with integrated library systems and discovery layers (preferably Aleph and Primo).
- Occupational experience in an academic library setting would be considered an asset.
- You have strong demonstrated computer literacy skills including the Microsoft Office Suite.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in advancing your work.
- Experience supporting/providing service to students and prospective students, would be considered an asset.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills and are able to interact at all levels of an organization.
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and are able to create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction.
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment.
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in library applications including integrated library systems, discovery layers, subject guides and a variety of online databases and internet resources.
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- You are a strong communicator.
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to coordinating services, logistics and events.
- You have proven records and information management skills and abilities.
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence.
- You are dedicated to life-long learning to maintain currency in professional practice, emerging trends and technology.
- You demonstrate attention to detail.
- You demonstrate an ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
We value Diversity and Inclusion
The College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, Black/African Nova Scotians, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing the online questionnaire within the application.
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publically accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Dan Bubar, HR Generalist at [email protected]. Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.