Campus Librarian (PS3)
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Department of Libraries and Educational Technology
Continuing Full-time Position: Commencing approximately September 2, 2019
Application deadline is 4PM, July 18, 2019
Competition No. 2019-235
Salary range: $57,059.38 to $79,769.86 annually
What you'll do
Reporting on campus to the Manager of Student Services and functionally to the Manager of Libraries & Learning Commons, you will have accountability for the delivery and evaluation of Akerley Campus library services. You will work closely with staff and faculty to integrate library services into campus and online programming. You will evaluate the information needs of students and faculty, plan programs and services that address them and monitor quality of service. You will collaborate with Central Libraries and Educational Technology on college-wide and consortia initiatives and participate in working groups, committees and projects to advance library services and meet required standards. You will provide traditional and virtual reference services; assist clients with data searching techniques; design and deliver information literacy instructional programs (online and in class) to students, faculty and staff; perform collection development and evaluation within budget guidelines; interpret and apply college-wide library services policies; provide copyright advice and support; and market library services to the user group. Additionally, you will provide functional day to day oversight of campus library operations such as circulation; reference; collections development and access; document delivery; promotions, etc.; host events and activities in the library including planning and logistics with other library staff and campus teams; as well as coordinate and participate in training of library staff.
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) from an ALA accredited program.
- You have a minimum of one year of recent and related occupational experience. Academic library experience would be considered an asset.
- You have strong computer literacy skills including the Microsoft Office Suite.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology to create an exceptional student experience.
- You have demonstrated a broad understanding and application of the variety of information resources and information literacy concepts and techniques applicable to post-secondary students and faculty.
- You have experience in training/facilitation preparation, delivery and evaluation.
- You have experience supporting/providing service to students and prospective students.
- Ideally, you have experience with Novanet and the ALEPH integrated library system.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to interact with a diversity of people and support resolution of issues.
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and are able to create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction.
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment.
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in library applications including integrated library systems, discovery layers, subject guides and a variety of online databases and internet resources.
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- You are a strong communicator both written and oral.
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to coordinating services, events and liaising with faculty.
- You have proven records and information management skills and abilities.
- Project management experience is considered an asset.
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence.
- You are dedicated to life-long learning to maintain currency in professional practice, emerging trends and technology.
- You show a strong commitment to community involvement including developing and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders such as public, school and university libraries; community literacy advocates and professional associations.
- You have a demonstrated understanding of collection development and evaluation.
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools – Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation – and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia. NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000. Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own. All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publically accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
As a condition of employment, Professional Support employees at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Professional Support employees of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Professional Support employees whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Tanya Kelly at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.