Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
This is a Designated Competition open only to individuals who self-identify as African-Canadian, Indigenous or First Nations
School of Access
Continuing Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately November 5, 2018
Application deadline is 4pm, October 4, 2018
Competition No. 2018-273
Salary range: $91,722.952 to $107,909.355 annually
What you'll do
As a key member of the School of Access Leadership Team, you will provide strategic vision for growth and innovation. You will provide academic leadership in the development of programs, their quality management and their delivery. As well, you will provide day-to-day professional practice and administrative leadership for School of Access programs offered at the Akerley Campus including the Adult Learning Program (ALP), the African Canadian Transition Concentration and Achieve.
Given the unique program complement at the campus, you will provide strategic leadership by embracing a culturally responsive philosophy with a sound understanding of culturally specific teaching and learning practices that support the engagement of racialized and marginalized adult learners. Similarly, you will provide leadership for programming designed to foster independent living and employment skills for students with developmental and learning differences.
The School of Access at Akerley Campus consists of approximately 12 ALP faculty including full time, part-time, adjunct and casual members, an ALPC counsellor, two administrative assistants, an Achieve Program Coordinator, two Employment Specialists, two program assistants and a part-time Achieve counsellor. Together this team provide learning for approximately 200 students. As a member of the Akerley Campus leadership team, you will contribute to the effective management of physical, financial and human resources. You will develop and maintain a network of strategic internal and external relationships with relevant local and provincial industry and educational partners in order to support and expand programs and increase student success. As well, you will establish and maintain national and international contacts in industry, with educators and professional associations. As an academic leader, you will be responsible for the successful implementation of Portfolio Education by faculty and students in all School Access programs at Akerley Campus.
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of your students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is an undergraduate degree in a field related to the School. Bachelor of Education and/or a Master of Education would be considered an asset. A Graduate Degree would be considered an asset.
- You have a minimum of five (5) years of recent progressive occupational experience in a variety of roles and a minimum of five years in a supervisory role within a diverse department or team
- You have experience in your field includes leadership/management and formal teaching at a post-secondary level.
- You have thorough knowledge of adult learning theory and principles of inclusionary education
- You have a proven ability to apply culturally specific principles and knowledge in the development and delivery of programs for African Nova Scotian and/or Indigenous and/or Mi'kmaq learners.
- You have a proven ability to evaluate and analyze processes and programs in order to recommend changes and to set new directions for growth that are consistent with current standards and trends.
- You have a proven track record of inclusive leadership by effectively managing and inspiring staff and by ensuring acceptable standards of training and or instruction within the field.
- You have experience managing physical and financial resources in order to ensure effective service delivery.
- You have a proven ability to quickly establish effective and credible relationships, both internally and externally, is also essential in this role.
- You are results driven, your superb interpersonal and problem-solving skills will be critical for your success in enhancing program delivery in the School of Access, Akerley Campus, and across the province.
- You are proficient in MS Office, e-mail and internet
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion with substantive experience supporting learners from racialized and marginalized communities.
- You demonstrate skills in cultural competency and in relationship building
- You have the ability to direct, influence and lead several functions simultaneously through effective planning and organizational ability
- You demonstrate a practice of promoting collaboration and collegiality
- You have superb communication skills, both orally and in writing - excelling in both active listening and speaking effectively
- You have proven leadership skills, with the ability to engage, inspire, motivate, and to provide coaching to a diverse staff team in order to develop others in the achievement of excellence.
- You have the ability to build cooperative partnerships, to successfully build teams, and to lead integrated initiatives.
- You have the ability to establish respectful working relationships across all groups; internally and externally
- You demonstrate expertise in innovative problem solving and strategic thinking.
- Above all, you have energy, drive and passion about NSCC's critical role in Nova Scotia's economic and community development.
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
We are Nova Scotia Community College. Our mission is to help "Build Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation." We offer more than 130 advanced skill programs in five academic schools, serving the whole province through a network of 13 campuses. Fully 86% of our graduates are employed, most in their field of study; close to 90% have chosen to live and work in Nova Scotia.
NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000.
Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own.
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publically accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. Our college welcomes diversity in both its student body and its employees, and we take every opportunity to become more inclusive. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse communities including but not limited to Indigenous Persons, racially visible persons, people with disabilities and women in non-traditional roles. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.
Casual Pool - Research Assistant - Annapolis Valley Campus copy
Middleton, NS, CA
2021-171 - Faculty, Steamfitter/ Pipefitter - Pictou Campus
Stellarton, NS, CA
2021-175 - Student Services Advisor (PS3) - (IT Campus)
Halifax, NS, CA
2021-178 - Administrative Assistant (OA15) - (E-Campus)
Middleton, NS, CA
2021-125 - Faculty, Electronic Engineering Technology - Pictou Campus
Stellarton, NS, CA